The University of Chicago offers a choice of two dental plans, the MetLife Dental PPO Plan and the MetLife Dental Copay Plan. Under either of the two plans, you are free to visit any licensed dentist you choose. However, you save money if you visit a preferred provider, also called a participating PDP (Preferred Dentist Program) dentist. Although the plans utilize the same provider network, your costs associated with the plans will vary.
The following is a summary of select benefit features of each plan. You can also view a side-by-side comparison of the dental plans.
Preferred Provider Organization Plan
The primary features of the MetLife Dental PPO Plan are:
- Two preventive care check-ups each year at 100% of the reasonable and customary charges, with no deductible.
- For other types of dental care, you and your family members must meet an annual deductible. When the annual deductible is met, the plan pays a percentage of your reasonable and customary charges, up to an annual maximum.
- Orthodontia is covered up to 50% with a lifetime maximum of $1,000.
- Annual maximum benefit is $1,500 per covered individual per year with a $3,000 maximum per family.
The primary features of the MetLife Dental Copay Plan are:
- Two preventive care check-ups each year separated by six months and you pay a copay amount.
- You and your family members do not have to meet an annual deductible if you use an in-network dentist.
- Your out-of-pocket expenses for covered preventive, basic and major services are determined by the ZIP code of your PDP dentist’s office.
- Orthodontia is covered up to 60% with a lifetime maximum of $1,500 at in-network providers.
- Annual maximum benefits is $5,000 per person at in-network providers.