Faculty, Other Academic Appointees and Dependent Children Tuition
The University offers a variety of tuition benefits for dependent children of Faculty and Other Academic Appointees. The summaries below provide key features of each of the tuition benefit offerings. A thorough description of each tuition benefit plan is available in the Educational Assistance Plan Summary of Benefits.
The following guidelines are applicable to the benefits described below.
- The benefit is available to full-time benefits eligible faculty/academic employees. For a list of University positions eligible for this benefit see pages 5 through 11 of the Educational Assistance Plan Summary of Benefits.
- There is no waiting period for the tuition benefit to begin.
- Applications must be submitted each semester/quarter.
- Applications should be sent to the Benefits Office by Fax 773-834-0996 or by e-mail email@example.com. It may take up to three weeks to process your tuition request.
- The benefit covers tuition only.
Tuition Benefits for the Dependent Children of Faculty and Other Academic Personnel
Faculty Children’s Scholarship Plan
- The University pays undergraduate tuition for dependent children of eligible employees at any accredited college or university in the United States OR any academically recognized foreign college or university that offers and undergraduate program leading to a bachelor’s degree.
- The maximum benefit is 8 semesters or 12 quarters. Summer school courses will count as a full semester or quarter if you submit an application to Benefits for the summer course.
- No benefit is available for certification programs in a specialized trade or for industrial schools, such as schools for aviation, cooking, auto repair, computers programming, etc.
- The maximum benefit awarded to your child cannot exceed the undergraduate tuition in effect at the University of Chicago at the time the tuition is due and payable.
- The benefit does not cover application fees, room and board charges, laboratory fees, activity fees other special fees charged for particular courses or programs and any other incidental fees. You must complete and submit an application (for active employees) at the beginning of each applicable quarter. If you are retired, please use this application.
- If your dependent attends the University of Chicago, an adjustment will appear on your tuition bill.
- If your dependent attends a school other than the University of Chicago, the benefit will be provided to active faculty/academic employees in the same manner as their salary is received (by direct deposit or via a check sent to the local administrator) in accordance with the biweekly-payroll schedule. Eligible retired faculty and other academic appointees will receive their benefit payments in a check sent to their address provided on the Application.
- The benefit is generally up to 75% of the University of Chicago tuition rate for most applicants. Please refer to the Educational Assistance Plan Summary of Benefits for detailed benefit information under Related Documents.
University Laboratory Schools Benefit
Academic Year 2020-2021 Laboratory Schools Benefit
Effective for the 2020-21 academic year, the University is significantly increasing the tuition remission benefit for families who earn less than $250,000 a year.
- The University pays 50% of the tuition at the University of Chicago Laboratory Schools for the Dependent Child of employees in eligible positions.
- Your dependent child must be enrolled in the Nursery, Kindergarten, Primary, Lower, Middle or High School at the University's Laboratory Schools
- A copy of your child's birth certificate must be submitted with the application.
- The Application for academic year 2020-2021 is available here. It is not necessary to submit an application more than once unless there has been a change in status.
- Families will have the option to apply for an enhanced tuition assistance benefit. The enhanced benefit is designed to provide additional tuition assistance above the existing 50% remission level to those families most in need according to a sliding household income scale. You will be required to verify your household income to apply for this enhanced benefit by submitting a copy of your prior year tax forms. For instance, submit your 2019 Form 1040 with your Academic Year 2020-2021 application.
- All families who have more than one dependent child at Lab will receive a sibling discount—regardless of income level. To receive this discount, you must submit an application, even if your children have been previously enrolled in Lab and/or even if you are not applying for the enhanced tuition assistance benefit.
For additional information, see the Frequently Asked Questions.
Diverse Learners Tuition Portability Benefit
- The Diverse Learners Tuition Portability Benefit (“diverse learners benefit”) is available for eligible employees, whose primary residence is located in one of the University’s nine mid-South Side neighborhoods with a child attending either City Elementary or Hyde Park Day School.
- The diverse learners benefit is a taxed tuition benefit available for eligible employees whose child(ren) attend(s) one of the two eligible schools. To receive the diverse learners benefit, your child(ren) must be admitted by, and enrolled at, one of these two schools.
- The taxed benefit is paid in two equal installments in September and in January.
2020-2021 Diverse Learners Tuition Portability Benefit
- Those eligible for the diverse learners benefit in 2020-2021 or any subsequent year will receive a taxable tuition benefit in an amount equal to the tuition remission they would have received if their child(ren) attended the Laboratory Schools. For more information about the enhanced University of Chicago Laboratory Schools tuition remission benefit, please visit this link.
- To receive this benefit for the 2020-2021 school year, a completed 2020-2021 Diverse Learners Tuition Portability Benefit Application must be submitted along with (1) a copy of your child’s birth certificate, adoption papers or legal documents indicating the child is your dependent and (2) a letter from City Elementary or Hyde Park Day School confirming enrollment to the Benefits Office at firstname.lastname@example.org by August 1. Applications may also be submitted by December 1 in order to receive a partial benefit for children who enroll at a covered school mid-year.
For those who wish to apply for a benefit greater than 50%, you must also provide a copy of your last Federal Income Tax Return as proof of Total Household Adjusted Gross Income. (All information may be redacted, except for the line showing “adjusted gross income.”) Refer to the sliding household income for eligibility based on household AGI.
- To receive this benefit each year, you will need to apply (or reapply) in by August 1 and submit the required supporting documentation. The annual benefit amount for a school year is paid out to you in two equal installments in September and January.
- For more information on the Diverse Learners Tuition Portability Benefit please review the Frequently Asked Questions.
- Please note: The Diverse Learners Tuition Portability Benefit is being offered as a three-year pilot program beginning 2019-2020 and may be reviewed annually to determine if changes should be made or if the benefit should be continued.