Personal Accident Insurance
Personal Accident Insurance (Accidental Death and Dismemberment) help protect you and your family from financial hardship if you or a covered family member dies or suffers a serious injury in an accident. These benefits are separate from and in addition to any other insurance coverage you may have, such as your Group Life Insurance Plan through the University.
If you are a benefits-eligible employee:
- You can choose to cover only yourself or yourself and your family.
- You can enroll at any time during the year.
- You may elect up to $1,000,000, of Personal Accident Insurance for you and your dependents (to a maximum of 10x your annual salary).
- Evidence of insurability is not required.
- Age-based reductions apply.
- Participation is voluntary.
- You pay the full cost at group rates.
For questions regarding your Personal Accident Insurance, please contact Sun Life directly at (866)230-2278.
cost of coverage
How to Calculate Your Monthly Rate
Choose the amount of coverage you want.
Divide the amount of your total coverage ("your principal amount") by $10,000.
Multiply the result by the appropriate rate:
This gives you your monthly contribution rate.
8 x $0.14 = $1.12
Jane will pay $1.12 per month for coverage for herself.
8 x $0.23 = $1.84
Jane will pay $1.84 per month for family coverage.
Once you reach age 70, you cannot increase coverage and the elected coverage is available in reduced amounts.
The reduction factors are:
|Age||% of reduction|
|85 and over||15|
The reduction will take place at the end of the calendar year in which the limiting age is attained.
Examples of Monthly Rates
The table below shows some examples of monthly Personal Accident Insurance contribution rates for various coverage levels:
|Principal Amount||Cost of Individual Coverage (yourself only)||Cost of Family Coverage (yourself and your family)|