Coverage for Retirees Age 65 or Older
Your health and well-being are important to you and your family. That’s why The University of Chicago has chosen to offer you The Retiree Medical Plan through a Medicare Advantage Preferred (PPO) plan administered by Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield. Medicare Advantage is a Medicare Part C plan.
The Retiree Medical Plan offers coverage for retirees and dependents who are enrolled in Medicare. Medicare Advantage covers both Parts A (hospital benefits), Part B (doctor and outpatient care) and more.
Medical and hospital Coverage with the Retiree Medical Plan and Medicare
The Retiree Medical Anthem Medicare Preferred (PPO) Plan offers a wide range of benefits and the flexibility to choose any licensed doctor or hospital provider across the country and around the world when you need care. Your plan gives you Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield’s National Access Plus. The Plus in your National Access Plus plan means you can see any doctor that accepts Medicare, in or out of your Anthem Medicare Preferred (PPO) provider network, and your copay or coinsurance percentage will be the same. Local or nationwide, doctors or hospitals, in or out-of-network - your cost share doesn't change.
Select Key Features
The following represents a partial list of the features the Retiree Medical Anthem Medicare Preferred (PPO) Plan provides. Please refer to the Retiree Medical Plan Information brochure for detailed information.
- You may go to doctors, specialist, and hospitals in or out of the network. You do not need a referral.
- Inpatient hospital care includes inpatient acute, inpatient rehabilitation, long-term care hospitals, and other types of inpatient hospital services.
- The annual deductible is $300 for each covered individual.
- After you reach your deductible, you’ll still have to pay toward your cost share for services.
- The annual out-of-pocket limit is $1,750 per individual. After the out-of-pocket max is met, Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield pays 100% of covered costs for the rest of the plan year.
- Coverage outside of the United States is provided through Blue Cross Blue Shield Global Core Program.
Extra Benefits and services
Your Retiree Medical Anthem Medicare Preferred (PPO) Plan includes a wide variety of programs and tools to help you make choices toward better health in all aspects of your life. All of the following resources are available at no additional cost to you.
- $0 copay for an annual routine physical exam
- Access to emergency care both inside and outside of the U.S.
- SilverSneakers fitness program
- Routine vision care
- Routine hearing services
- Hearing aid coverage
- Video doctor visits and telemedicine
- Routine foot care
For more information see Extra Benefits and Services Highlights under Related Documents or contact Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield at (833)214-8952