Staff and Dependent Children Tuition
The University offers a variety of tuition benefits for staff employees and their dependent children. The summaries below provide key features of each of the tuition benefit offerings. A thorough description of each tuition benefit plan is available in the Educational Assistance Plan Summary of Benefits.
The following guidelines are applicable to the benefits described:
- There is no waiting period for the tuition benefit to begin.
- If you are attending class when you are hired, you will be eligible for the tuition benefit when your next class begins.
- Applications should be sent to the Benefits Office by Fax 773.834.0996 or by e-mail email@example.com. It may take up to three weeks to process your tuition request.
- The benefit covers tuition only.
- Applications must be submitted each semester/quarter.
Tuition Benefits for Staff Employees
Employee Tuition at the University of Chicago
- The University pays 50% of your tuition for up to two classes per quarter.
- The benefit covers undergraduate as well as graduate level courses.
- You will see an adjustment on your tuition bill from the Bursar’s Office once your application has been processed.
Employee Tuition Outside the University of Chicago
- The University pays 75% up to $2,000 per calendar year (January 1 through December 31) of your tuition for passing a class taken toward a first two-year or four-year undergraduate degree at regionally accredited colleges or universities other than the University of Chicago.
- The lifetime maximum benefit is $26,000.
- Certificate classes are not eligible for reimbursement.
- You will need to complete and submit an application along with an itemized bill showing the amount of the tuition and a copy of passing grade.
- Reimbursement checks are made payable to you and will be mailed the home address on record.
Graham School Certificate Classes
- The University pays 50% for non-credit courses, up to two classes per quarter, if you are a full-time staff member and benefit eligible.
- To enroll in a work related course and receive the 50% benefit, you must complete the course registration form.
- The remaining 50% can be paid by choosing one of the options listed on the course registration form.
Tuition Benefits for the Dependent Children of Staff Employees
Employee Dependent Children Tuition Benefit
- The University pays for 50% of undergraduate tuition for dependent children of eligible employees attending the College.
- The maximum benefit is 12 quarters.
- The benefit does not cover application fees, room and board charges, laboratory fees, activity fees other special fees charged for particular courses or programs and any other incidental fees. You must complete and submit an application at the beginning of each applicable quarter.
University Laboratory Schools Benefit
Effective for the 2020-21 academic year, the University is significantly increasing the tuition remission benefit for families who earn less than $250,000 a year. In addition, all families who have more than one dependent child at Lab will receive a sibling discount—regardless of income level. For more information, please click University of Chicago Laboratory Schools Tuition Remission 2020-2021.
Academic Year 2019-2020 Laboratory Schools Benefit
- The University pays 50% of the tuition at the University of Chicago Laboratory Schools for the Dependent Child of employees in eligible positions.
- Your dependent child must be enrolled in the Nursery, Kindergarten, Primary, Lower, Middle or High School at the University’s Laboratory Schools.
- A copy of your child's birth certificate must be submitted with the application. It is not necessary to submit an application more than once unless there has been a change in status.
- Families will have the option to apply for a new tuition assistance benefit. The new benefit is designed to provide additional tuition assistance above the existing 50% remission level to those families most in need according to a sliding household income scale. You will be required to verify your household income to apply for this new benefit.
|Total Household Adjusted Gross Income||Under $45,000||$45,000– $74,999||$75,000– $99,999||$100,000- $199,999||Over $200,000|
|Total Tuition Remission Level||85%||75%||66%||60%||50%|
- A copy of pages 1 and 2 of your most recent Federal Income Tax Return must be submitted with the application. You may redact all income information on your tax returns except for the line showing "adjusted gross income".
- To receive this benefit, you will need to apply every academic year and submit a copy of pages 1 and 2 of your most recent Federal Income Tax Return(s).