205 - Re-employment of University Employees
Subject: Re-employment of University Employees
Date: February, 2021
To state certain rules governing the re-employment of former University staff employees.
Former staff employees of the University are eligible for re-employment, in accordance with the rules below.
Eligibility for Re-employment
- A staff employee who voluntarily resigned with notice as described in U208 is eligible for re-employment at the University. Employees terminated for misconduct or who resign in lieu of termination will not be eligible for rehire with the University.
Restoration of Sick Leave Accruals
- The sick leave accrual balance of a staff employee who voluntarily terminates (i.e., resigns) expires upon termination of employment, but will be restored if the individual is rehired by the University within thirty (30) days of termination.
- The sick leave accrual balance of a staff employee with less than one year of service who is laid off lapse expires upon layoff, but will be restored if the individual is rehired within six (6) months of layoff.
- The sick leave accruals balance of a staff employee with one year or more of consecutive service who is laid off lapse expires upon layoff, but will be restored if the individual is rehired within one (1) year of layoff.
Bridging of Service for Purposes of Vacation Time
- Bridging of service means restoration of their time off accrual date. A laid-off staff employee or a staff employee who is reduced to benefits-ineligible status and is later rehired or returned to benefits-eligible status will, for purposes of vacation time accrual rate, have their University service bridged if the individual is rehired within one (1) year of the layoff/loss of benefits ineligibility.
- An employee who is voluntarily terminated (i.e., resigned) and is rehired by the University within thirty (30) days of termination will have their University service bridged for purposes of vacation time.
Bridging of Service for Purposes of Other Employee Benefits
- Bridging of service for purposes of other University employee benefits not addressed in this policy are determined in accordance with the terms of the plan document governing the underlying employee benefit.
Employees represented by a bargaining unit may be governed by the appropriate bargaining unit agreement.