209 - Staff Employee Hires to the University of Chicago from the University of Chicago Hospitals
Subject: Staff Employee Hires to the University of Chicago from the University of Chicago Hospitals
Date: October, 2016
To clarify employment practices for benefits-eligible staff employees hired to the University of Chicago (University) from the University of Chicago Medical Center (UCMC).
This policy outlines benefits practices for newly hired, benefits-eligible University staff employees who were employed by the University of Chicago Medical Center within 7 days of being hired by the University of Chicago. The policy provides guidelines regarding how time off, seniority, benefits eligibility, health plan eligibility, and Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) eligibility will be administered by the University.
University employees who may transfer to the Hospitals should consult the Hospitals' applicable policy(s).
A. Time Off (Paid)
- For benefits-eligible staff employees, unused sick, vacation, and personal holiday time accrued during employment with the Medical Center will not transfer to the University.
- An employee's "Date of Hire" with the Medical Center will be the date used for benefits eligibility regarding accruals for sick, vacation, and personal holiday time.
- Seniority status for staff employees will not carry over to the University from the Hospitals.
C. Benefits Eligibility
- An employee's "Date of Hire" with the University will be the date used for eligibility of various service-related benefits (including health plans and FMLA), with the exception of pension benefits.
- An employee's pension-eligibility date at the University will reflect the employee's "Date of Hire" at the Medical Center.
- A University employee will be subject to the University of Chicago's termination policy and procedures when he/she terminates employment at the University to accept employment at the University of Chicago Medical Center.