402 - Counseling Service/Staff and Faculty Assistance Program
Subject: Counseling Service/Staff and Faculty Assistance Program
Date: July 16, 2004
To ensure a healthy and productive workforce.
The University has contracted with an Employee Assistance Program provider to assist employees, retirees, and their families with a variety of personal matters including drug and alcohol abuse, stress, emotional difficulties, bereavement, family/personal concerns, financial counseling, and job-related issues.
- An employee may utilize the Staff and Faculty Assistance Program (SFAP) in one of two ways:
- Self-referral: An employee may seek assistance on his/her own.
- Supervisory and/or management referral: A supervisor may recommend an employee’s participation when attendance, job performance or work habits are affected by personal matters.
- A department should consult with the Office of Employee/Labor Relations (E/LR) prior to making a supervisory referral when performance issues manifest, when drug or alcohol use are suspected or when a last-chance agreement is in place.
- A department may contact the Program to provide guidance and assistance to employees when a major event has affected a work unit (e.g., death of a coworker, departmental emergency, etc.)
Employees represented by a bargaining unit may be governed by the appropriate bargaining unit agreement.