521 - School Visitation
Subject: School Visitation
Date: November 28, 2005
To establish guidelines for staff employees to attend their children’s school conferences and activities in compliance with the Illinois School Visitation Rights Act.
The University encourages staff employees’ involvement in their children’s school-related activities. Staff employees who have children in primary and/or secondary school may receive an additional eight (8) hours of unpaid school visitation time per school year after accrued vacation and personal holiday leave time have been exhausted.
- In general, benefits-eligible employees may elect to use accrued vacation or personal holiday time for school visitation at any time, following University policies U509 Vacation and U511 Personal Holidays. However, after six (6) months of employment, employees can use an additional eight (8) hours of unpaid leave for school visitation after their accrued vacation and personal holiday leave time have been exhausted.
- Additional unpaid time off will be given in increments of no more than four (4) hours. A staff employee is not required to make up time lost . However, supervisors should make a good faith effort to permit (non-exempt) employees to make up this time.
- An employee must consult with his/her supervisor to schedule the leave so as not to disrupt the operations of the unit unduly. Requests for time off for school visitation purposes must be made in writing at least seven (7) days in advance. In case of emergencies, up to 24-hours advance notice should be given.
- A staff employee may be required to provide documentation for the requested time off to his/her supervisor. Failure to submit a verification statement from the school may be considered an unexcused absence and may result in disciplinary action.
- A non-exempt staff employee should indicate any unpaid school visitation time taken on his/her timecard. While an exempt staff employee will not receive a salary deduction in less than full-day increments under the Fair Labor Standards Act, he/she should indicate school visitation time taken on the Monthly Absence Report.