Policies & Contracts

1002 - Staff Employee Recognition

Subject: Staff Employee Recognition

Section: U1002

Date: October, 2016


To recognize and honor staff employees for their years of service to the University.


In recognition of their contributions to the University, benefits-eligible (union and non-union) staff employees are eligible to receive awards for their longevity and performance at the University of Chicago.


Service awards are presented to staff members recognizing years of service as follows:

Service Milestone Unit Recognition University Recognition
5 years Pin N/A
10 years Pin Invitation to Staff Service Recognition Reception (SSRR), 10 yr event gift
15 years Pin Invitation to SSRR, 15 yr event gift
20 years Pin Invitation to SSRR, 20 yr event gift
25 years Pin Invitation for staff and guest to SSRR, 25 yr event gift booklet with selection of options
30 years Pin Invitation to SSRR, 30 yr event gift
35 years Pin Invitation to SSRR, 35 yr event gift
40 years Pin Invitation to SSRR, 40 yr event gift
45 years + (on 5 yr increments) Pin Invitation to SSRR, 45 yr + event gift
  1. University HR determines the number of staff members in the current fiscal year who will reach a service milestone based on their benefits eligibility date, and provide names and service anniversary dates to unit administrators to verify accuracy.
  2. HR will place an order for all service pins needed for the calendar year based on the reports distributed to unit administrators.
  3. Unit administrators are responsible for making arrangements with HR to obtain service pins to align with the department's framework for distributing pins to staff members.
  4. The University hosts the annual Staff Service Recognition Reception to honor staff who celebrated a service milestone of 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35 or 40 years and over (on a 5 year increment) in the current fiscal year.
  5. University units are encouraged to recognize staff members with appropriate service awards and to develop and implement other unit-level recognition programs. 
  6. Unless service has been bridged, an employee’s years of benefits-eligible service must be continuous to receive a service award. [See policy U205 Re-employment of University Employees.] If an employee has a break in service for any period of time, the years worked prior to the break are invalid for award purposes.
  7. A staff member who loses his/her award and wishes to have it replaced may contact HR. The staff member is responsible for replacement costs.
Employees represented by a union may be governed by the appropriate bargaining unit agreement.