1002 - Staff Employee Recognition
Subject: Staff Employee Recognition
Date: October, 2016
To recognize and honor staff employees for their years of service to the University.
In recognition of their contributions to the University, benefits-eligible (union and non-union) staff employees are eligible to receive awards for their longevity and performance at the University of Chicago.
Service awards are presented to staff members recognizing years of service as follows:
|Service Milestone||Unit Recognition||University Recognition|
|10 years||Pin||Invitation to Staff Service Recognition Reception (SSRR), 10 yr event gift|
|15 years||Pin||Invitation to SSRR, 15 yr event gift|
|20 years||Pin||Invitation to SSRR, 20 yr event gift|
|25 years||Pin||Invitation for staff and guest to SSRR, 25 yr event gift booklet with selection of options|
|30 years||Pin||Invitation to SSRR, 30 yr event gift|
|35 years||Pin||Invitation to SSRR, 35 yr event gift|
|40 years||Pin||Invitation to SSRR, 40 yr event gift|
|45 years + (on 5 yr increments)||Pin||Invitation to SSRR, 45 yr + event gift|
- University HR determines the number of staff members in the current fiscal year who will reach a service milestone based on their benefits eligibility date, and provide names and service anniversary dates to unit administrators to verify accuracy.
- HR will place an order for all service pins needed for the calendar year based on the reports distributed to unit administrators.
- Unit administrators are responsible for making arrangements with HR to obtain service pins to align with the department's framework for distributing pins to staff members.
- The University hosts the annual Staff Service Recognition Reception to honor staff who celebrated a service milestone of 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35 or 40 years and over (on a 5 year increment) in the current fiscal year.
- University units are encouraged to recognize staff members with appropriate service awards and to develop and implement other unit-level recognition programs.
- Unless service has been bridged, an employee’s years of benefits-eligible service must be continuous to receive a service award. [See policy U205 Re-employment of University Employees.] If an employee has a break in service for any period of time, the years worked prior to the break are invalid for award purposes.
- A staff member who loses his/her award and wishes to have it replaced may contact HR. The staff member is responsible for replacement costs.