When Your Child Turns 26
Medical, Dental and vision
Coverage under your University provided medical, dental and vision benefits ends on the last day of the month in which your child turns age 26 (unless he or she becomes disabled before age 26). However, your child may be able to continue receiving benefits through COBRA Continuation of Coverage for up to 36 months.
- Your child has 60 days to elect COBRA coverage from the date your child receives COBRA continuation materials in the mail (after turning age 26).
- COBRA continuation materials will be sent by CONEXIS, the University's COBRA Administrator.
- All completed forms should be returned to CONEXIS.
- Contact CONEXIS at 877.822.9091 regarding questions about COBRA coverage after you have applied.
Special Exceptions to this rule:
Dependent children may be eligible to continue receiving coverage if they meet the following criteria. The Medical Summary Plan Description provides additional details on eligibility for University provided medical plans.
- Unmarried military veteran dependent child of employee or domestic partner up to age 30 if the child:
- Has established residency in Illinois
- Has served in the active or reserve components of the U.S. Armed Forces
- Has received a release of discharge other than a dishonorable discharge
- Unmarried child beyond age 26 if the child is:
- Incapable of self-sustaining employment due to a mental or physical disability that occurred before attaining age 26;
- Dependent on employee/domestic partner for support and maintenance; and
- Covered continuously by the plan prior to and beyond age 26