Marriage and Partnership
When you get married you may add or make changes to your benefits coverage. Contact your departmental administrator to change your name.
Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
If you are a medical, dental and/or vision plan participant, you may wish to add your spouse or same sex domestic partner (registered before January 1, 2017) to your coverage or drop your medical, dental and/or vision coverage should you choose coverage under your spouse's plans.
- Verification of relationship is required when adding a spouse or domestic partner to your health, dental and/or vision coverage. Documentation may include a marriage certificate or domestic partnership statement.
- Copies of all necessary documentation should be scanned into Workday within 31 days of the marriage.
Group Life Insurance and/or Personal Accident Insurance
You may want to change your beneficiary designation(s) and/or increase the level of your coverage because of a recent marriage. These changes may be made anytime during the year.
- If you wish to increase your level of Life Insurance coverage, you must complete the Evidence of Insurability process through Sun Life. Sun Life will contact you with information regarding the Evidence of Insurability process and must approve your application before your increased level of coverage takes effect.
You may wish to consider/elect:
- Voluntary Spouse or Same Gender Domestic Partner (registered with the University before January 1, 2017) Life Insurance. You may elect coverage for your spouse or same gender domestic partner, registered with the University before January 1, 2017, in $10,000 increments up to $150,000. You must complete the Evidence of Insurability process through the Sun Life. Sun Life will contact you with information regarding the Evidence of Insurability process and must approve your application before the increased level of coverage takes effect. You, as the employee, pay the full cost for this coverage through after-tax payroll deductions.
- Voluntary Dependent Child (ren) Life Insurance. You may elect coverage for your eligible dependent child(ren) (up to age 26) in $2,000 increments up to $10,000. Voluntary Dependent Child(ren) Life may cover one child or multiple children in your family. You will only pay premium based on one level of coverage. So, if you choose the $2,000 level of coverage, you will only pay premium based on $2,000, yet you will have $2,000 coverage on each eligible child in your family. There is no Evidence of Insurability required for children. You, as the employee, pay the full cost for this coverage through after-tax payroll deductions.
Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs)
If you are getting married and anticipate a change in your health care expenses, you may want to begin participating in a Health Care FSA or increase/decrease your current contributions to the Health Care FSA.
If your new spouse has children who will become your dependents and you anticipate day care expenses, you may want to begin participating in the Dependent Care FSA, or increase/decrease your current contributions to the Dependent Care FSA.
This change can only be made in the case of marriage. To make changes to your benefits log into Workday with your CNet ID and password, within 31 days of the qualifying event.
Under federal law, your spouse has certain rights with respect to your retirement benefits. Accordingly, it is important that you notify TIAA and/or Vanguard of your new spouse as soon as possible after your marriage. You may also want to update your beneficiary designation with TIAA and Vanguard.