Birth, Adoption, and Legal Guardianship of a Child
There are several steps you may need to take in relation to your benefits when you become a new parent.
Log-on to Workday with your cnet ID and password to change your tax withholding status, if you choose.
Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
If you are a medical plan, dental and/or vision plan participant, you may wish to increase your medical, dental and/or vision coverage to include your child within 31 days of the child’s birth, adoption or the date you were granted legal guardianship.
- Verification of relationship is required when adding a dependent to your health and/or dental coverage. Documentation may include a birth certificate, adoption papers, or approved court order and a copy of your tax records indicating that the child is being claimed as a dependent.
- Copies of the required documentation should be uploaded to Workday within 31 days of the child's birth, or the date that adoption or legal guardianship was granted.
Group Life Insurance and/or Personal Accident Insurance
You may want to change your beneficiary designation(s) and/or increase the level of your coverage when you become a new parent. These changes may be made at any time during the year.
- To increase your level of Life Insurance coverage, you must complete the Evidence of Insurability process through Sun Life. Sun Life will contact you with information regarding the Evidence of Insurability process and must approve your application before your increased level of coverage takes effect.
- If you are not currently participating in Personal Accident Insurance plan, you may elect new coverage. You may also want to consider the following coverages:
- Voluntary Spouse or Same Sex Domestic Partner (registered with the University) Life Insurance. You may elect coverage for your spouse or same sex domestic partner, registered with the University, in $10,000 increments up to $150,000. Evidence of Insurability will be required. Sun Life will contact you with information regarding the Evidence of Insurability process and must approve your application before your increased level of coverage takes effect. You, as the employee, pay the full cost for this coverage through after-tax payroll deductions.
- Voluntary Dependent Child(ren) Life Insurance. You may elect coverage for your eligible dependent child(ren) (up to age 26) in $2,000 increments up to $10,000. Voluntary Dependent Child(ren) Life may cover one child or multiple children in your family. You will only pay premium based on one level of coverage. So, if you choose the $2,000 level of coverage, you will only pay premium based on $2,000, yet you will have $2,000 coverage on each eligible child in your family. There is no Evidence of Insurability required for children. You, as the employee, pay the full cost for this coverage through after-tax payroll deductions.
Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs)
If you anticipate changes to your health care and/or day care expenses as a result of becoming a new parent, you may want to begin participating in the Health Care or Dependent Care FSA, or increase/ decrease your current contributions to the Health Care FSA or Dependent Care FSA. within 31 days of the child's birth, adoption or the date you were granted legal guardianship, you may want to:
To make changes to your benefits, within 31 days of the child's birth, adoption or the date legal guardianship was granted log-on to Workday with your cnet ID and password.
Change your beneficiary(ies) under the defined contribution portion of the Retirement Income Plan for Employees (ERIP), the Contributory Retirement Plan (CRP), and the Supplemental Retirement Program (SRP) (collectively, these are the "defined contribution" plans).
- Contact TIAA 800.842.2776 directly to obtain the requisite paperwork. The TIAA and Vanguard representatives also can identify for you the persons currently designated as your beneficiary(ies).
Change your beneficiary(ies) under the defined benefit portion of ERIP and SEPP (ERIP participants only).
- For the defined benefit portion of ERIP and SEPP (current and former ERIP participants only), please contact Benefits at 773.702.9634.