Death of a Dependent
The steps you will need to take when you have suffered the loss of a dependent vary slightly depending on whether it is your spouse, domestic partner, or child. Notify Benefits as soon as possible for assistance.
To make any of the below changes to your benefits, log-on to Workday with your CNet ID and password.
Medical, Dental and/or Vision Insurance
You may change the level of your medical and/or dental coverage within 31 days of the loss of a dependent.
Group Life Insurance and/or Personal Accident Insurance
You can change the level of your coverage and change your beneficiary designation(s)at any time during the year following the loss of a dependent through Workday.
- Should you wish to increase your level of Life Insurance coverage, you must complete the Evidence of Insurability process through Sun Life. Sun Life will contact you with information regarding the Evidence of Insurability process and must approve your application before your increased level of coverage takes effect.
Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs)
Within 31 days of the loss of a dependent, you have the option to:
- Begin participating in a Health Care FSA, or change your contributions to the Health Care FSA.
- Begin participating in the Dependent Care FSA or change your current contributions to the Dependent Care FSA.
- These changes may only be made in the case of a spouse or child's death.
- You may change your beneficiary(ies) under the Contributory Retirement Plan ("CRP"), the defined contribution part of the Retirement Income Plan for Employees ("ERIP") and the Supplemental Retirement Program ("SRP") (collectively, these are the "defined contribution" plans).
- For the defined contribution plans, please contact TIAA (800)842.2776 directly to obtain the requisite paperwork. The TIAA representatives also can identify for you the person(s) currently designated as your beneficiary(ies).
- You may change your beneficiary(ies) under the defined benefit portion of ERIP (ERIP participants only).
- For the defined benefit portion of ERIP (current and former ERIP participants only), please contact the Benefits Office at (773)-702.9634.