Notification of Death
Upon the death of a University employee, please contact the Benefits Office email@example.com. Family members will be asked to submit an original death certificate to Benefits Office.
Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
Surviving eligible dependents will be offered coverage under COBRA if eligible.
- A surviving spouse and/or eligible dependents may choose to continue medical coverage under COBRA for a maximum of thirty-six (36) months.
A surviving spouse and/or eligible dependent(s) may choose to continue dental coverage through COBRA for a maximum of thirty-six (36) months.
- A surviving spouse and/or eligible dependent(s) may choose to continue vision coverage through COBRA for a maximum of thirty-six (36) months.
- You have 60 days to elect COBRA coverage from the date you receive the COBRA continuation materials in the mail.
- If you choose to continue your coverage through COBRA, complete the materials and return them to Discovery Benefits, Inc (DBI). DBI can be contacted at (866)451-3399.
- For more information visit COBRA Continuation of Coverage.
- If a surviving spouse and/or dependent(s) do not choose to continue their medical, dental and vision insurance, coverage will end the month of the deceased employee's death.
Short-Term Disability and/or Long-Term Disability
Short-Term and Long-Term Disability coverage end on the day of the employee's death.
Group Life, Personal Accident and Travel Accident Insurance
- Coverage ends on the day of the employee's death.
- The Benefits Office will notify the insurance carrier and the carrier will then contact your designated beneficiary upon notification of a death.
Flexible Spending Accounts
- Participation in the Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs) will end on the day of an employee's death.
- A surviving spouse or estate may continue to submit claims to WageWorks for the expenses that the deceased employee or their dependent incurred prior to the death.
- Claims may be submitted up to June 30th of the following calendar year.
- Contact HealthEquity (WageWorks) at (877)822-9091.
Qualified Transportation Program
Participation in the Qualified Transportation Program will end on the day of an employee's death.
- Surviving spouses or dependents should notify TIAA at (800)842-2776 for payment under the defined contribution portion of the Retirement Income Plan For Employees (ERIP), Contributory Retirement Plan (CRP), and Supplemental Retirement Plan (SRP).
- Surviving spouses or dependents should notify the Benefits Office for payment under the defined benefit portion of ERIP and SEPP, if you were employed 3 or more years.
Special Notes: If you were hired before July 1987, your dependents' medical coverage is extended by one month.