Notification of Death
Upon the death of a University employee, the surviving eligible dependents will be offered coverage under COBRA. Learn what steps you should take in the event of the death of a dependent.
Surviving spouses and/or dependents may call Benefits at 773.702.9634 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an appointment to discuss making the appropriate changes to your benefits.
Family members will be asked to submit an original death certificate to Benefits Office.
Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- A surviving spouse and/or eligible dependents may choose to continue medical coverage under COBRA for a maximum of thirty-six (36) months.
A surviving spouse and/or eligible dependent(s) may choose to continue dental coverage through COBRA for a maximum of thirty-six (36) months.
- A surviving spouse and/or eligible dependent(s) may choose to continue vision coverage through COBRA for a maximum of thirty-six (36) months.
- You have 60 days to elect COBRA coverage from the date you receive the COBRA continuation materials in the mail.
- If you choose to continue your coverage through COBRA, complete the materials and return them to WageWorks. WageWorks can be contacted at 877.822-9091.
- For more information visit COBRA Continuation of Coverage.
- If a surviving spouse and/or dependent(s) do not choose to continue their medical, dental and vision insurance, coverage will end the month of the deceased employee's death.
Short-Term Disability and/or Long-Term Disability
Short-Term and Long-Term Disability coverage end on the day of the employee's death.
Group Life, Personal Accident and Travel Accident Insurance
- Coverage ends on the day of the employee's death.
- Benefits will notify the insurance carrier and the carrier will then contact your designated beneficiary upon notification of a death.
Flexible Spending Accounts
- Participation in the Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs) will end on the day of an employee's death.
- A surviving spouse or estate may continue to submit claims to WageWorks for the expenses that the deceased employee or their dependent incurred prior to the death.
- Claims may be submitted up to June 30th of the following calendar year.
- Contact WageWorks at 877.822.9091.
Qualified Transportation Program
Participation in the Qualified Transportation Program will end on the day of an employee's death.
- Surviving spouses or dependents should notify TIAA-CREF at 800.842.2776 for payment under the defined contribution portion of the Retirement Income Plan For Employees (ERIP), Contributory Retirement Plan (CRP), and Supplemental Retirement Plan (SRP).
- Surviving spouses or dependents should notify the Benefits Office for payment under the defined benefit portion of ERIP and SEPP, if you were employed 3 or more years.
Special Notes: If you were hired before July 1987, your dependents' medical coverage is extended by one month.