Personal Leave of Absence

The University provides leaves of absence without pay to regular employees with at least one year of continuous employment with the University. 

Key Features

  • Leaves of Absence are designed to give you an excused leave without pay for exceptional circumstances such as:
    • Continued education
    • Research
    • Family issues or
    • Other personal needs.
  • You may request from one to 12 months of leave.
  • When your leave begins you will be paid out in a lump sum for your accrued vacation and personal holidays.
  • You may continue selected benefits during your leave upon indicating your choices on the leave request form.   
  •  Your supervisor will decide whether to grant you the unpaid leave based on:
    • Your reason for the request;
    • Your previous attendance record;
    • Your previous leave requests; and,
    • The impact your absence will have on the department.
  • When on a Personal Leave of Absence your Chicago Card is deactivated.  Upon your return you must obtain a new Chicago Card to gain access to certain University buildings like Regenstein Library.

How to Apply

If you are contemplating taking a leave of absence, discuss the leave with your supervisor at least 30 days prior to the intended start of the leave. 

Submit a completed Leave Request Form to your supervisor' for approval.  Your supervisor will indicate whether your  position will be held.

Forward the completed form and any attachments to the Benefits Analyst - Leave Programs at, who will complete the final approval. 

You and your supervisor will receive a copy of the approved leave which will be your notice of whether your job is being held.

Job Reinstatement

Reinstatement to your previous position is at the discretion of the University based upon input from your department and the Benefits Analyst - Leave Programs. 

The approved leave notice will indicate in writing whether your job will be held for your return from the leave.

Please refer to Personnel Policy 508 Personal Leave of Absence for eligibility and usage guidelines.  Employees represented by a union are governed by the applicable collective bargaining agreement.