Workers' Compensation

Workers' Compensation is provided and designed to protect you if you have a job-related injury or illness that occurs as a result of performing your job.  If you are injured or become ill, you may be able to receive a portion of your pay, certain types of rehabilitation and reimbursement for medical expenses.

Who Is Eligible

Any employee who receives wages from the University is eligible for Workers' Compensation.

When Benefits Begin

Income replacement payments begin on the fourth day of your injury/illness, unless your time away from the job due to the injury/illness lasts more than 14 days. If you are out of work 14 days or beyond, you are paid retroactively for the first three days of absence from work.

Key Features

  • If you become injured/ill, you have the right to medical, surgical, and hospital treatment you need as a result of the injury/illness.
  • To compensate you for lost wages, Workers' Compensation provides you with payments equal to 66 2/3% of your average weekly pay, up to a state mandated limit which changes every 6 months.  This compensation is not considered wages and is not taxable. 
  • You may receive vocational, physical, and mental rehabilitation for your injury/illness.
  • You may also be reimbursed for costs such as crutches, prescription drugs, and supportive devices.
  • Absences from work due to a work-related injury or illness will count towards the 12-week FMLA leave.

How to Apply for Workers' Compensation

When an Accident Occurs
If the Accident Results in Lost Time From Work
  • After the 3rd day of absence from work, you are entitled to receive compensation at the rate of 66-2/3% of your regular pay (does not include bonuses or overtime). 
  • If you are absent more than 14 days your accruals will be reimbursed and you may be required to repay a portion of your pay as you will have received the compensation payment for the first 3 days.
  • You may elect to supplement the compensation with your accruals by completing the Accrual Option Form. You will receive 33-1/3% of your regular pay by using your available accruals as a paycheck each pay period for as long as you have accruals or you return to work. 
  • Your benefits will continue if you choose to supplement your compensation with your accruals.  If you choose to only receive Workers' Compensation payments, you will be billed each month for your benefits until you return to work.
  • You are to advise your department and Risk Management (via email to of your progress and plans for returning to work. The treating doctor will be required to submit status reports of your progress to Risk Management via email to
  • When you are ready to return to work, the treating doctor must complete a return-to-work slip, indicating if there are any medical restrictions.
  • Submit the return-to-work slip to your supervisor or administrator, so it can be forwarded to Risk Management via email to